Welcome--- will you join us on our New York Journey?

Thirteen Missouri high school students create a saga of intrigue, romance and fate... We invite you along for the ride!

Friday, December 30, 2011

Kaelen Scenario 2


Kaelen and James stepped off the airplane onto the ground of New York. This was the beginning of a new start for them. James grasped Kaelen's hand, and they walked into the LaGuardia Airport terminal. Inside, they gathered up their luggage, and went outside to call for a taxi. They kept trying to hail a cab, but no one stopped for them. Finally, after trying and trying, someone stopped. It was an old man, very quiet. The car smelled strongly of smoke, making Kaelen slightly nauseous. They put their luggage in the trunk and sat down in the back seat.

The driver asked, “where are ya headed?” in a thick New York accent.

James told him, “the Metropolitan Museum of Art, please.”

Kaelen hesitantly asked, “Aren't we supposed to be going to the hotel first?”

“Well Kaelen, I wanted to surprise you. I know how you've been wanting to go there.”

“Sir, can you hold on for a sec, please”.

“Sure thing.”

“Its okay, James. I really want to go. But are you sure that we'll have enough time to check in to the hotel? I want to be able to get settled in before dark.”

“Hey, don't worry. I've got this all planned out.” James signaled for the cabbie to go, and off they went to the museum. It wasn't a very long distance to the museum, but with all the crazy, congested New York traffic, it took longer than one would think. When the taxi pulled up to the museum, Kaelen was amazed at the size of it. She had only seen pictures of it, pictures that didn't do it justice. There were people outside on the steps eating sack lunches, groups taking pictures in front of the building, and old couples feeding pigeons.

“Um, James. What are we going to do with our stuff while we're inside?”

“Ah, that's right. Well...we don't have that much stuff. I could carry yours for you also?”

“If you insist, but we really don't have to do that.”

“Come on you two, pay up. I've got more money to make.” James paid the cabbie and took his and Kaelen's belongings out of the trunk. As the cabbie pulled away, James got a call on his cell phone from his brother.
“Hey Tom. What did ya want?”

“Well James, you know how we were talking about how I could get you a job on Wall Street at the firm I work at? I think I've got something for you.”
“Are you serious? That's incredible. What can you tell me about it?”

“Well, id like for you to come here today. I was telling my boss about you, and he'd really like to meet you. Can you be over here in like an hour?”

“I guess that could work. I have Kaelen with me, and we haven't been to the hotel yet. But anyways, we'll be over there.”

“Okay, sounds great! Make sure you look halfway decent okay?”

“Sure thing, i'll be right over.” James got off the phone. Kaelen secretly didn't like that idea, but it was for the best. It meant a job that could support the new baby.

“So, what do you want me to do while you're in there?”

“Well, you could sit outside if that'd be fine. I really don't know. This job is going to be really important. If I don't get it, I don't know what we will do.” James hailed a cab, and they both got in. This time it was a young woman, dressed like a rocker. Kaelen thought this was weird, and it raised her suspicions.

“Where are you going?”, asked the young woman. There was a look in her eye that was the same Kaelen had seen in her younger sister before: A look of guilt. Like the girl was doing something she shouldn't be doing.

“Hurry up you ninnies or you can get out. I've got places to go.”

“We need to go to Wall Street, please and thank you.” replied Kaelen. The car jerked forward. They headed down the street, but the cab made a right turn. All of a sudden, police cars were following behind them, lights flashing. The driver accelerated and weaved in and out of traffic. There was a loud bang and then a loud pop: One of the tires had been shot. Two more shots wrang out and another tire was flat. Kaelen and James kept quiet. They were too shocked to react. The car came to a stop near Central Park. Everyone there stopped what they were doing and stared at the ongoing situation.

“Come out with your hands up!” shouted a big burly police officer. The rocker girl opened the door. She tried to make a break for it, but was pinned to the ground by two other officers. The big officer came up to the door and opened it.

“Are you folks all right?” the officer inquired.

“We think so. What just happened?” replied James.

“Well step on out here and i'll tell ya bout it. I'm Officer Toms by the way.” Officer Toms opened the door for the couple and they step out hesitantly.

“That girl that was posing as the cab driver actually killed the man who was the driver. She's been driving that darned cab all over New York today. We tried getting her earlier, but then we saw her pull up to the Metropolitan. Do you guys need a ride somewhere?”

James said, “Well, actually if you wouldn't mind. We were going to my job interview on Wall Street, and we literally just moved her to New York. Gotta be there in about like 40 minutes.”

“Well, I can get someone to go take you there. Don't worry about payment or anything. I've been doing this kind of 'pay-it-forward' thing lately. Let me call my niece and she'll take you over there.”

“Officer, you are too kind. Thank you so much!” said Kaelen thankfully. Officer Toms took out his phone and dialed a number.

“Yeah, Leiah can you please come over to Central Park? I have a favor to ask of you. Oh yeah, thats great. You'll be here in a couple minutes? Perfect. See you in a bit then.” He hung up the phone and told the couple about how his niece Leiah, who was already at Central Park, would take them to where they needed to be. Soon enough, a silver car pulled up alongside the officer's car. A young woman, probably in her twenties, stepped out. She was tan and had dark, almost black hair.

“Hey, my names Leiah! You guys can just put your stuff in the trunk.” Leiah talked with her uncle and then opened the back car door for the two young adults.

“My uncle told me about how you all are new here. I figure that you can use all the help you can get, and don't worry about me. I'm not a murder.” Leiah laughed, a laugh that was familiar to Kaelen. She and James sat down in the back seat.

“Where exactly do you guys need to go?”

“Um, its about a block from the New York Stock Exchange. How long do you think it'll take to get there?” said James.

“Well, the way I drive, about twenty minutes.”

“Okay, well again, thank you so much for doing this for us. We sure have had a rough day today.” said James.

“You're welcome. Don't worry about it.” Leiah started up the car and they headed on their way to James' business meeting. Kaelen grabbed James' hand and laid her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. She couldn't wait to get out of the car. After a few minutes, they were almost to Wall Street when a girl started to cross the street in front of the car. Leiah almost didn't see her and when she did, she honked the horn. It scared the young woman and she ran back to the sidewalk. Kaelen looked out the window at her. She was blonde, and dressed like a country star. Kaelen thought she looked kind of like Miranda Lambert, which was weird. That was one of her favorite singers. Finally, they arrived at the possible-future-job for James. James hurriedly got dressed and made himself look presentable. He gave Kaelen a quick kiss on the cheek.

“Oh I almost forgot. What are you going to do Kaelen while i'm in there?”

“Um, I don't really know. I guess I could sit outside?”

“Hey, you know what. Do you wanna just hang with me for a little while? I'm not doing anything for the rest of the day, so we can go do something while he's in there.” said Leiah.

“Well I do need to make some new friends here. Are you sure?”

“Yeah, there's this cute little cafe not to far from here. Its a pretty awesome place.”

Kaelen thought about her new life in New York and was already surprised that she was making new friends. Hopefully this was the start to a great new beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment